• Voice4 Allows You to Speak Freely and Share Your Voice Without being Tracked or Monitored.

Discussion Responses from Woolwich Councillor Candidates

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnneM
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 10

AnneM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2026
Topics
55
Posts
111
Likes
34
Country flag
The Woolwich councillor candidates were asked 3 questions:
1. Why do you feel you should represent Woolwich?
2. How would you describe your leadersdhip style?
3. How would you describe you personal political ideology AND how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"

WARD 1 (two candidates are to be elected)

Nathan Cadeau
Elmira
519-897-6476
ncadeau@gmail.com
Website: ncadeau.com

RESPONSE
Why do you feel you should continue representing Woolwich Township?
I believe I have become a more effective councillor over the past four years, and I still have work I want to finish. When I first ran in 2022, I talked about bringing a proactive, transparent approach to council, strengthening Elmira’s downtown, protecting our environment, and making sure residents had a meaningful voice in local decisions.
Four years later, I understand the Township, its finances, its infrastructure pressures, and the limits of municipal authority much better than I did when I started. I have also learned that good representation is often less glamorous than politics makes it sound. It means answering people, doing the homework, asking difficult questions, following issues through, and being willing to disagree when something doesn't make sense.
How would you describe your leadership style?
Direct, prepared, collaborative, and evidence-based. I'm comfortable challenging staff recommendations, other levels of government, or prevailing assumptions, but I try to do that based on evidence rather than politics.
I ask a lot of questions because I want to understand how a decision will actually work, what it will cost, who bears that cost, and whether we will be able to demonstrate results afterward. I have also been willing to take on leadership roles, including chairing the Technical and Remediation Advisory Committee (TRAC), chairing the Elmira BIA, and co-chairing the Township's Pride working group. My approach to leadership is to be involved, do the work, listen to people, and take responsibility for the decisions made.
How would you describe your personal political ideology
I like Jean Chrétien's answer to this question. He described himself as a “radical centrist,” and that has always resonated with me. I am socially progressive and fiscally conservative.
I believe government should protect rights, reduce unfairness, care for the environment, and provide strong public services. I also believe it has to respect taxpayers, control costs, plan for the long term, and demonstrate that public spending actually produces value. I am not particularly interested in whether an idea comes from the political left or right. I am interested in whether it works.
AND how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"
When my goals do not fit neatly within the system, I try to understand the system well enough to find where it can move. Sometimes that means challenging assumptions, building support around the council table, using evidence to push for a different approach, or pressing another level of government to act. I am comfortable working within institutions, but I cringe when I hear the answer because “that is how things are done.” I tell my students that sometimes you have to work against the system from within the system. To change institutions effectively, you first have to understand where the rules, authority, and pressure points actually are.
I hope this helps! Again, thanks for the thoughtful questions. I've tried to include more information that you might find interesting on my website: www.ncadeau.com



Tony Stevens
519-722-1492
tony4woolwich@gmail.com
Website: tonystevens.ca

RESPONSE
For each of these answers I’ll try to give an answer in 100 words or less. I know that politicians can tend to ramble on. So I try to be short & precise. Why do you feel you should represent ward 1? My goal is to represent citizens first by using my own knowledge & values combined with the skills of others. What the residents want is my first goal; however I don’t shut off my brain or ignore the wisdom of others when deliberating. I think specifically I can bring a younger, professional, parent and family “voice” to the council chambers. So much of Woolwich, Elmira specifically, is young families building their life here. And our kids will be the next generation that inherits Woolwich, so I want it to be cleaner, prosperous with a rich heritage when they start to raise their families.How would you describe your leadership style?It might sound corny but growing up the model I saw is “servant leadership”. Where you don’t see yourself as having power over others; but instead having power to help others. Serving with humility and grace - looking out for the interest of others more than yourself. It's how I try to parent; loving my kids sacrificially for their best. I would do my best to model that as a councillor (but hopefully with residents less prone to tantrums )How would you describe your personal political ideology AND how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"I like to think of myself as a centrist conservative. I believe in personal responsibility, sound fiscal policies and minimal government. But I also believe that we are stronger together and can see the benefit of systems. Some examples like public transportation, public healthcare or government aid are good to help those in need. I’m all for programs that use our tax dollars to help the community at large; as long as they are fiscally sound. I think the municipality could benefit most this year from a sound budget - so we can afford to do more good things in the future. (Giving myself a few extra words because this one is a two-parter). I don’t know exactly what “system” you are referring to. Obviously as a councillor I’m not solely in charge. I report to the mayor and work collaboratively with the rest of the council. I think democracy always requires compromise so I don’t think there will be any decision where it's solely “my way”. Instead I will bring my skills & knowledge to help shape every decision to be the best it can be. And that means working with, cooperating and learning from everyone who I encounter (inside or outside the system. Please let me know if you have any questions about this. I would love to have a dialogue over this. These questions also help me solidify my voice and how/where I stand on various issues.From, Tony Stevens-- From,
Tony Stevens
Candidate for Ward 1 Councillor (Woolwich)



Tina Weltz
Elmira
519-669-3993
weltz4woolwich@gmail.com
Website: weltz4woolwich
Facebook: @weltz4woolwich

RESPONSE
Thank you for reaching out! I have answered your questions below, if you would like to connect for any further discussion please let me know.

Why do you feel you should represent Ward 1?​

I want to represent Ward 1 because I believe in being an active, engaged member of the community, not just someone who shows up when it is time to ask for a vote. I have spent years working alongside community organizations, volunteers, local businesses and residents, and I understand the importance of listening to people and turning those conversations into action.

I believe Ward 1 deserves a representative who is approachable, willing to listen, prepared to ask questions and, most importantly, willing to do the work. I bring a strong work ethic, experience bringing people and organizations together, and a genuine commitment to making our community a place where people feel heard, supported and proud to live.

For me, representing Ward 1 isn't about having all the answers. It's about listening to residents, understanding the challenges we face and working collaboratively to find practical solutions.

How would you describe your leadership style?​

I would describe my leadership style as leading by example.

I don't believe in asking people to do something I wouldn't be willing to do myself. In my professional and community work, I lead by working alongside my coworkers, volunteers and team members. I believe the best leaders are willing to roll up their sleeves, understand the work firsthand and support the people around them.

I also believe leadership requires listening. A good leader doesn't need to be the loudest person in the room or have the final word. They need to create an environment where people feel comfortable bringing forward ideas, concerns and different perspectives.

My approach is collaborative, practical and accountable. I want to build strong teams, give people the opportunity to contribute and then take responsibility for helping move the work forward.

How would you describe your personal political ideology, and how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"?​

I would describe my approach as community-first, practical and solutions-oriented. I don't believe every municipal issue needs to fit neatly into a political label. My priority is understanding what residents need, looking at the facts and finding the best solution for our community.

Municipal government should be about getting things done. That means being willing to work with people who may have different opinions, finding common ground and being creative when the traditional approach isn't working.

If one of my goals doesn't fit neatly into the existing system, I wouldn't simply accept that as the end of the conversation. I would ask why it doesn't work, understand the rules and limitations we are working within, and look for ways to improve the process or build partnerships that can help achieve the outcome.

I believe change often starts with asking better questions and being willing to do the work required to find another path. I would bring that mindset to Council: listen, collaborate, challenge the status quo when necessary, and keep working toward practical outcomes for Ward 1.

The Following Candidates did not Respond:
Paula Ferguson
Jason Godglick
Carlene Hawley (nomination withdrawn)



Ward 2 (one to be elected)

Steven Haase
St. Jacobs
226-808-6372
stevehward2@gmail.com
stevenhaase.com
Facebook: Steven Haase Ward 2
Instagram: @SteveHWard2

RESPONSE
Thanks for reaching out and asking such thoughtful questions. It's great to hear from you. My responses:Why do you feel you should represent ward 2?I live in Ward 2 and am raising a family here. I know many of its residents, and I feel the direct impact of Council's choices on my day-to-day life. I have experience managing budgets and making decisions that impact people's lives. I've lived in many different places during my life and am eager to bring the best of what I've seen to this place that I call home. I'm also an avid technologist and devoted humanist, and so I want to bring together the best of what's possible with technology while ensuring that the quality of service and our quality of life only improve. How would you describe your leadership style?I'm someone who wants to understand things fully and listen to all sides of the situation before making big choices. I'm also someone who's comfortable making big choices when the time for action has come, as that's the only true way to learn what the impact will be. I'm not afraid to speak up and also not afraid to listen and learn.How would you describe your personal political ideology AND how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"I believe in freedom. I also believe in responsibility. Those two can be a bit of a paradox when fully embraced, but they both must be held in consideration for positive solutions to come about. We need the freedom to express ourselves, the freedom to be who we are, make our own choices, and live with the consequences. We also share the burden of healthcare collectively. We create the town commons as a collective, and so these sometimes competing priorities need to be balanced. I grew up in the U.S., but I've experienced the benefit of socialized healthcare and strong government services, as well as the fracturing that can happen when the rhetoric and conversation get polarized and divisive. I want to avoid that while getting things done. Personally, I lean left, but as a business owner, I understand and support many fiscal conservative arguments.I hope that answers your questions. I'm happy to follow up with anything else you want to know about. Best,SteveSheryl TilleyElmirasheryltilley-woolwichward2.squarespace.com RESPONSEThose are great questions. Thanks for reaching out to me with them. Below are my responses:Why do you feel you should represent ward 2?I know and love the people, the community, and the land in Ward 2; it's more rural than Ward 1 and 3. I walk the Mill Race low bridge trail every Sunday. I have a desire to preserve our green spaces and farmland. It's the land and the people that make Woolwich unique. As a librarian, supervising and working in the St. Jacobs library, I thoroughly enjoyed serving the community and its people, from young families new to the area to seniors who have lived there all their lives. Our roots go deep, in many ways. How would you describe your leadership style?My leadership style is collaborative, data-driven decision making, with an open door policy. I recognize that everyone has something to contribute, and there is value in listening (even to the small, shy voices). Years of managing the Region of Waterloo Library has taught me to draw on the knowledge of experts but also push hard for the proof. Listen to everyone but also rely on the data to guide inteligent, informed decisions that will stand the test of time. Make decisions that benefit everyone, not the chosen few.How would you describe your personal political ideology AND how would you implement your goals if they do not fit into the "system"My personal political ideology is that less government is better government, especially when it comes to control over our own lives with autonomy. The Charter of Rights is indispensable.If my goals do not fit into the system, I would check my goals to ensure they serve in the best interests of the public, then proceed with transparency while leveraging the media and pursuing whistleblower protection for government workers. Chatting with middle management, not the top echelon, can be quite informative.Regards, Sheryl TilleyAll Candidates Responded for Ward 2WARD 3 ( two candidates to be elected)Bonnie BryantMaryhill519-648-3608bonniebryant@outlook.combonniebryantwoolwich.wordpress.comRESPONSEI feel I should be representing Ward 3 again as I have always stood up for this ward. I am a resident of Ward 3. I did not support the raising of taxes and the increase in pay for Mayor and Council. These increases are not sustainable. Affordability is a big issue for this ward. I know we need amenities and we are working towards making this happen. In July I was involved in a meeting with a commercial developer. I believe in open communication. Call me, email me, and I will try to get back to you quickly. I come out to events and public meetings, and look forward to speaking to residents. I may not always have the answers, but I will look into the issue. I believe in being involved and accessible.I believe in fair treatment and respect for everyone. I believe in working together and looking for solutions. There is not a one size fits all system.RegardsBonnie BryantJeff CarruthersBreslau416-806-7129carruthersward3@gmail.comFacebook: Jeff Carruthers for Woolwich Ward 3 CouncillorInstagram: carruthersward3RERSPONSEI am running for Ward 3 because I believe council needs practical, independent voices who will ask good questions, examine the details, and keep residents informed. My background in planning, operations, and process improvement—and my experience as Co-Chair Finance of Parent Council, President of a Condo Board and President of my College APICS society has taught me how to balance priorities. manage resources responsibly, and work toward practical solutions. My leadership style is collaborative and direct. I listen first, seek out the facts, welcome differing views, and then make decisions I can clearly explain and stand behind.Politically, I am independent, fiscally responsible, and community-focused. I am not interested in party labels at the municipal level. I will judge each issue on its merits: the impact on residents, cost, long-term value, and whether it supports a well-run community.If an important goal does not fit neatly within the current system, I will work through it, not around it, by engaging residents, working with council and staff, building support, and bringing forward practical options that can be implemented.Best regards!Jeff CarruthersJanet CoxMaryhilljanetcoxforward3@gmail.comvotejanetcox.caFacebook: Vote Janet CoxInstagram: votejanet-coxRESPONSEThanks for reaching out. Are you a resident of Ward 3 in Woolwich? What community are you in/near? It's really important for me to hear from prospective voters as well as to communicate my position.Please check out my website:www.votejanetcox.ca to see the outline of my platform.I have lived in Woolwich for many years and believe that it is a beautiful place and a great community that I would like to continue to contribute to.I would be more comfortable having a actual conversation about big questions like my personal ideology, rather than just writing answers.Politically I am very firmly in support of democratic and fair decision making at all levels of government. I do not support the extreme concentration of wealth or power in any situation, and feel that shared interests of people, communities, and the natural world should be advocated for in decision making.Is there a time we could have a phone conversation? Could I stop by your place when I'm out canvassing in the next while?There may be a meet and greet event in Maryhill, and I'm lookjng out for any events like that.Thanks again,JanetJanet CoxCandidate for Ward 3, Woolwich Twp.www.votejanetcox.caEryn KoncirBreslau519-860-4732erynkoncirward3@gmail.comerynforward3.caFacebookInstagramRESPONSEThanks for reaching out - and for taking the time to be an informed voter. These are thoughtful questions.Why do I feel I should represent Ward 3?Ward 3 is growing and changing quickly, and I think it needs strong, engaged representation at the Council table. I’ve lived here for 10 years, I’m raising my family here, and over the years I’ve become increasingly involved in issues affecting our community. I’ve also appeared before Council myself and have seen firsthand how important it is for residents to have a councillor who is prepared, accessible and willing to speak up.Professionally, I’m a CPA, CA and small-business owner. I think that financial background is particularly valuable at a time when the Township is balancing significant growth and infrastructure needs with increasing pressure on taxpayers. I’m comfortable digging into budgets, asking questions and challenging assumptions — but also recognizing that municipal decisions aren’t just numbers on a spreadsheet. They affect people and communities.How would I describe my leadership style?Collaborative, prepared and questioning. I don’t think good leadership means walking into every issue believing you already know the answer. I like to do the homework, understand the evidence, listen to the people affected and ask hard questions before reaching a conclusion.I’m also comfortable disagreeing respectfully. Council is made up of people with different perspectives, and ultimately you need to be able to work with those people to get things accomplished.How would I describe my personal political ideology?I don’t think municipal government fits particularly well into traditional left/right political labels, and I wouldn’t want ideology to determine my answer before I’ve looked at an issue.My approach is probably better described as fiscally responsible and pragmatic. I believe government has an important role in providing the services and infrastructure communities need, but I also believe we have an obligation to spend public money carefully, be transparent about where it is going, and make sure residents are receiving value for it. I support growth where it is responsible and properly planned, and I think decisions should be based on evidence and the needs of the community rather than ideology.As for working within the “system,” one councillor cannot implement an agenda alone. Council decisions require votes and collaboration. If I believed something needed to change, my approach would be to build the case for it: understand the facts, ask staff the difficult questions, bring forward alternatives, listen to other councillors and residents, and work to build support.I won’t win every vote, and I wouldn’t promise otherwise. What I can promise is that I won’t avoid an issue simply because it’s difficult or because the existing way of doing things is easier.Thanks again for asking - I genuinely appreciate residents taking the time to ask candidates questions like these.ErynEryn Koncir, CPA, CAAll Candidates Responded for Ward 3
 
Back
Top